07 August 2008

Two Steps

i'm two steps ahead of you
yet i am two steps behind
you are lagging in the heart
while i play catch-up with the mind

i'm craving expansion
while you're craving retreat
find a place to rest your head
while i move my feet

i want to roam the globe
rotate it like a satellite
circle around you like the sun
that brings you morning light

i'll leave you here to make mistakes
i made some years ago
of loving ever foolishly
until you must let go

i hope those steps don't drag you down
and make you build a wall
higher than the pedestal
under which you crawl

if i find myself standing
inside your echo faint
i hope it sounds like laughter
or another pleasant state

and if i find myself caught up
and eager to stand still
i hope you're standing next to me
but by your own free will

please don't forget my softness
and don't forget my face
if your heart gets ripped right out
i'll fill its empty space

only if you promise that
you'd do the same for me
if our steps become aligned
and we walk evenly

No comments: